The next version of the film is the US Release version from 1982. This version is the one that most of us have seen and know. It includes a voice-over through a lot of the film, as well as what is called the "Happy Ending" where Rachael and Deckard fly off together. This is not how Scott wanted the film to end, but the studio had final cut options so that is what was released. Then there is the International Version, also released in 1982, which has a couple more minutes of violent footage to it. This includes a little longer shot at the start when Leon kills Holden. This is the version that Criterion released in 1992, as well as it being the 10 year re-release version.
However, also released in 1992 is Ridley Scott's directors cut. This is the version that I like most so far - at least when it comes to the story. The voice-over is gone, the happy ending is gone, and there is the unicorn scene (which was taken from the film Legend that Scott was working on during post-production of Blade Runner). I never understood the unicorn, but I thought it was a nice artistic touch, something visual that grounds the audience to a natural visual instead of the dark futuristic rain washed buildings. It gives the eye some greenery to look at, plus the magic of a unicorn. During some of the bonus discs in this box where they give a full history of the making of the film, Scott explains his reasoning behind the unicorn. I won't give it away, but it opened up my eyes to a new interpretation. Some folks have stated that the unicorn dream implies that Deckard is also a replicant - but I never understood how or why they would come to that conclusion. Now I do.
The final version of the film in this amazing box set is the final cut from 2007. It is the Directors Cut, but the visuals have been greatly enhanced. It is a lighter film than the ones you have watched so far. I think it is gorgeous. It also fixes a few small snafu's that are in the previous cuts. This final version of the film has three different commentaries available with it. The first commentary is by Ridley Scott, the second by the writers and producers, and the third commentary is with designers. All of them are quite interesting, and worth spending the extra time rewatching the film with these words.Along with the film are two discs of bonus features. The first disc gives a full background on the making of the film. This would include the writing of the script, the changes it went through, casting, directing, post-production, how it was received, and it also includes screen tests. The second disc does something similar but focused more on the adaptation process. How did the Philip K Dick story become this amazing film. This disc also provides deleted scenes and footage that have never been released. This disc also includes trailers, behind-the-scenes footage from filming, and perspectives about the art work, the design, and some viewpoints from fans of the film. The whole box is a stunning presentation of a brilliant work of art on film. And yes, I started the process of watching this box on March 27th. I gave myself breaks, but also to take my time and really enjoy the film.


No comments:
Post a Comment